Tuesday, May 14, 2013

First Post

A lot of changes are going to be happening in my life soon, so I thought I'd blog about it.

This week I'm graduating from a local community college with my AS in Natural Sciences and Mathmatics. This is a degree I never thought I would ever be getting. I've hated math ever since the first day it was formally introduced to me, and I never really thought of my self as a "science person", but here I am.



Another thing I never thought I'd ever be doing is going to Scotland; however, I'm actually going to be flying to Edinburgh in July! I'm not going to be doing a lot of sight-seeing, though. I'm going with a group from my church to work in the Schemes (we would call them housing projects in the States) with an organization called 20 Schemes. Their goal is to plant churches in various housing schemes around Scotland. The people living in these schemes often struggle with drug and alcohol abuse. (To get an idea of what I'm talking about, youtube search "The Scheme BBC" and watch the documentary that follows a few families for a year). Many of these people have never even heard of Jesus and have no idea that the only thing that will satisfy them is him.
I think of the time Jesus met the woman at the well and she had had several husbands, but the man she was currently with wasn't her husband. She was looking in other places for satisfaction. Jesus showed her that he, the Messiah was the only one who could help her. When she says she knows about the Messiah he says, "If you knew the gift of God, and who it is that is saying to you, 'Give me a drink,' you would have asked him, and he would have given you living water." (John 4:10) Jesus is the only person who can satisfy all our needs, and there are so many people in Scotland to tell.

  

So, those are the two main things that are happening. I doesn't seem like anything major is happening like marriage or something huge like that, but you never know where this trip to Scotland will lead. I may decide to move there because of the work that's going on.

Anyway, I should probably end here for tonight. It's a quarter after 10 and one of my two sisters is reprimanding me for not making an effort to get to bed earlier so we can get up earlier to work out.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment